- We offer customers a complete in-house array of services, including product design, engineering, metallurgical assistance, quality/tolerance testing, product prototype development, tooling fabrication, and forging on various presses (mechanical, hydraulic, and steam drop hammers). In addition, we outsource heat treatment, milling, turning, fabrication and repair, metallurgical testing, chemical milling, and finishing.
- Precision forgings range from 2lbs. to 1,000 lbs
- Forging parts and components can be produced up to 62” long by 33” wide and 12” thick, depending on material type and configuration
- Forging equipment includes steam hammers (2,500 to 35,000 ft-lb), hydraulic presses (2,000 tons), and mechanical presses (700 tons)
- Primary Metal Alloys Used: Carbon & Micro-Alloy Steels, Customer-Specified Alloys, Nickel-Based Alloys (Inconel, Has-X, etc.), Stainless Steel, Titanium, Other Exotic Alloys
- Engineering teams utilize the latest CATIA and AutoCAD software and 3-D computer modelling programs for forging and tooling designs
- Drawings can be created for designs in compliance with current ANSI-ISO specifications, or, if applicable, existing designs can be used
- Our skilled metallurgists use deformation / simulation software to calibrate and predict how various metals will react during forging operations, enabling the team to predict grainflow, determine metal strain rates and calculate metal temperature at the forge finishing stage
- Customer, application-specific designs according to technical specifications, schedules and cost.
- Quality systems comply with numerous association and government standards, including AS9100, ISO 9001:2000, NADCAP, PRI, US Department of Defense and the Armed Forces
- Comprehensive offering of high quality alloys
- Full range of machining capabilities using 3-5 Axis CNC machining centers, EDM/CNC turning centers and direct, high speed die sinking equipment
- Complete in-house tool manufacturing
- Magnetic particle, fluorescent die penetrant and layout inspection stations
- Complete tool and die building
- Polishing (incl. high energy mass finishing)
CDF Engineering & Design
We feel there is no margin for error or substitute for experience. The California Drop Forge Technical Team works closely with our Quality and Production Departments to ensure products produced for our aerospace, military, medical and other customers meet or exceed the ever-changing safety and precision standards required by these industries.
Forging / tooling design and process development starts in our Engineering Department as soon as our customers supply their configuration and technical data. Our engineers use computer-aided design software programs such as CATIA and AutoCAD to aid and/or assist customers in improving their forging products or tooling designs.
The Metallurgists on our technical team use deformation / simulation software to calibrate and predict with accuracy how material will behave during forging operations. Simulation enables us to predict grain-flow, determine metal strain rates and calculate the required metal temperature through the forging process, allowing us to reduce tryouts and pass along cost savings to our customers.
Our Technical Services are available to help our customers get the highest quality closed die forgings and machined components possible. Our long history in this business, combined with our production expertise allows us to create effective solutions for your forging requirements.